About the Epilepsy Association
The Epilepsy Association is a nonprofit organization located in Cleveland, Ohio, that assists children, families, and adults in Northeast Ohio who are struggling to deal with the difficult challenges epilepsy can present. For more than forty years, the agency has been offering a range of services to individuals affected by epilepsy in the greater Cleveland area.
The Epilepsy Association recognizes the unique needs of individuals with epilepsy. Our staff is dedicated to providing high-quality service to address the varied needs of people with epilepsy. Staff provide assistance ranging from answering questions from a one-time caller to the agency, to providing ongoing case management and counseling for individuals with epilepsy struggling to maintain a stable living situation.
Services offered by the Epilepsy Association include:
- Mental health case management (CPST) and counseling for individuals in poverty with severe epilepsy and mental illness. Services are provided regardless of the individuals’ ability to pay. These services are not duplicated in Northeast Ohio.
- Counseling service to help parents overcome obstacles in managing a child’s epilepsy.
- Information and referral services staffed by licensed social workers who respond to caller requests. Social workers provide direct assistance including linking callers with other community providers.
- Epilepsy awareness programs for students and school personnel for the purpose of improving the safety and educational outcomes for the student with epilepsy, and reducing the historical stigma associated with the condition.
- Community epilepsy awareness programs including safety training and appropriate seizure response for the work environment, public information/awareness campaigns, and support for community health fairs and other health related activities. The Epilepsy Association is not affiliated with any national organizations.
The agency is a 501(c)(3) not for profit corporation and all funds raised provide services in the greater Cleveland area.
For specific information about services, please visit the services section of this website.
The About the Epilepsy Association section of our website provides more information about the organization of the agency, including our history, mission and vision, staff members, and Board of Trustees/ Professional Advisory Board. You can also download our most recent Annual Report. Please contact us if you would like more information about the Epilepsy Association.
Epilepsy Association History
The agency began in the mid-1950’s as the Parents Crusade on Epilepsy and later became the Committee on Epilepsy of the Family Health Association. The Committee on Epilepsy mainly provided information and referral services, yet the founders anticipated a future expansion. Studies documented the great need for specialized epilepsy services and soon professional and public education, counseling, employment and advocacy services were added. In 1972, The Committee on Epilepsy obtained funding from Cuyahoga County United Way Services and became an independent agency.
Throughout its history, the Epilepsy Association has remained dedicated to serving individuals in Northeast Ohio affected by epilepsy.
Epilepsy Association Accreditations and Licensure
The Epilepsy Association is licensed and accredited by several entities, including:
Epilepsy Association Contracts and Partnerships
The Epilepsy Association partners with several local organizations to provide services, including:
Epilepsy Association Policies
Please follow the links below to download the Epilepsy Association's Client's Rights Policy, Code of Ethics, and Privacy Notice.